Well, this is clearly not my best attempt at writing something deep/cool/witty/humorous/bla bla.. This post is about packing essentials for a business trip. I know, the title itself pulls you away but there are 2 reasons I am writing this. First, I am being selfish.. this is gonna help me in packing for my next trip to Indonesia and second, this is a quick guide for those who wish to travel light. As I have traveled to more than 15 countries and countless cities already, I hope I would be able to give a tip or two.
To start with, there has to be a list..yes a structured list with different categories and one needs to prioritize it based on personal wish. Depending on the location (international/within the country), duration of travel, time/season, this list can be customized. Mine is a month long travel to a country where there would be no vegetarian food! So..
- Packaged food items: to be bought and packed (oats, ready to eat meals, snacks, biscuits/namkeen, tacos/theplas/khakras, cornflakes, boost/coffee, one plastic bowl for microwave: trust me this can save your life)
- Medikit: Stomach pain, fever, cough, cold, vomit, periods medicine, eno, pain relief gel
- Electronic essentials: Battery chargers extra, portable chargers, headsets, kindle/ipad, extra phone for emergency, portable torch. Most important is to carry a UNIVERSAL CONVERTER!! trust me you dont get it easily abroad
- Cosmetics: Well, this doesn’t really need detailing, I am sure girls are over cautious about this and boys don’t care. Nonetheless, shampoos,conditioners, oil, toners, cleansers, shower gels, creams, toothpaste kit, perfumes, kajal, comb etc etc
- Clothing: Business clothing according to the number of days to be spent at the site, evening clothing (half of business clothing), 2 to 3 formal coats, nightwear, gym wear, 2 to 3 evening dresses, essentials
- Accessories: extra watch, gym shoes, office heels, slippers, sling bag, passport and document holder, sunglasses, extra set of eyeglasses too
- MOST IMPORTANT: documents with extra set of photocopies (visa, invite letter, bank statements, id cards, address proofs) and yes thanks to one of my friends for pointing it out: DONT FORGET TO CARRY CURRENCY
Over and above this, don’t forget your mobile and your wallet! These two things can probably help you to recreate the above list if your baggage is lost (well that has happened with me, story for some other time 🙂 )
Traveling widens our horizon, gives us a perspective, helps us wonder who we are and most importantly gives us an experience that gets embedded in our memory to cherish forever. It can be made really smooth if you start your journey well! On that note, I would like to quote my favorite travel lines: “We travel because we need to, because distance and difference are secret tonic to creativity. When we get home, home is still the same, but something in our mind has changed, and that changes everything”.